Beverly National Veterans Cemetery Garden
Beverly National Cemetery is located in Burlington County’s Edgewater Park, in the city of Beverly, New Jersey.
The original cemetery was only one acre, purchased from a local resident in 1863. The plot was located in the northwest corner of the town cemetery surrounded by a picket fence. Additional land was acquired in 1936, 1937, 1948, and 1951.
The cemetery was established to provide a burial site for veterans who died in one of two nearby hospitals. Of the original 147 Union soldiers buried at Beverly National Cemetery, only 10 are unknown. For much of its history, the cemetery handled relatively few interments. The number of interments grew dramatically, however, when space became unavailable at Philadelphia National Cemetery. Beverly National Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
In 1994, the World War II veterans in our society decided that the society should develop a garden to honor the memories of the veterans who were buried there. Led by Robert Schwarzkopf, Jack Conrad, Frank Rosati and their spouses; the society and cemetery officials selected an area where the Medal of Honor veterans were interred for the rose garden. Star Roses was contacted and they donated red and white rose bushes for the garden. The roses initially put into the garden were hybrid tea and floribunda roses. It has been a difficult task to maintain these roses and they were replaced with “Knockout” varieties. Star Roses donated the roses.
Click here for full article 'Beverly National Veterans Cemetery' by Rich Myers.
Photos by Gus Banks